The LMA provides marriage ceremony services for Muslims according to both the Islamic practice of marriage and the Australian legal requirements for marriage. The LMA will not perform an Islamic marriage if the couple do not wish to register the marriage with the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

When a couple have made the intention to marry, they can arrange to have their marriage ceremony performed in the Grand Function Hall at the LMA, Lakemba Mosque or a location of their choice in consultation with the officiate who is authorised as a marriage celebrant by the Federal Attorney General’s Department.

To book your wedding ceremony, please click here

Please note: Bookings must be made at least one month prior to the marriage date.

What does the procedure entail?

  • You will require the presence of two Muslim witnesses for the groom and a guardian for the bride. The ideal guardian for the bride is the father of the bride.
  • The groom and his family, with consultation and approval of the bride and her family, will offer in writing the dowry as recorded on the certificate of marriage.
  • The marriage details are recorded in a prescribed form and signed by the bride, the groom, the guardian and witnesses. A copy of the certificate is provided to the bride and groom with an official marriage license.
  • The LMA will keep a copy of the marriage license as a record. The official license is then signed by the celebrant presiding over the marriage and mailed to the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

What are the official requirements?

The following are the official marriage requirements as outlined by the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages and readily available on their website.

Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM)

Once you decide to marry, you are required to give a marriage celebrant at least one month (not more than 18 months’ notice) of an intended date of marriage.

You need to complete a Notice of Intended Marriage form which is available at the LMA office or you can download here.

Marriageable Age

From 1 August 1991, the marriageable age is 18 years. If a person, not yet 18, wishes to marry prior to their 18th birthday, only a court empowered to give a ‘Section 12’ order can give authority for this marriage to be solemnised.

A NOIM may be lodged prior to the 18th birthday, as long as the marriage occurs after the birthday.

Evidence of Age

Both the bride and groom are required to provide the marriage celebrant with proof of age.

If born in Australia, a full Australian Birth Certificate must be provided.

If born overseas, a foreign birth certificate or a valid overseas passport will be accepted. If these are in another language, they must be officially translated into English.

Previous Marriages

If either party has been previously married, you must provide the marriage celebrant with evidence of the termination with either a Divorce Certificate (if divorced) or a full Death Certificate (if widowed). Certificates in a foreign language must be translated into English by an authorised interpreter/translator service.

Photocopies are not accepted.

Registering your Marriage

Australian citizens marrying overseas cannot have their marriage registered in NSW.

To obtain evidence of your overseas marriage, make sure you obtain a Marriage Certificate or any other supporting documentation before you leave the country.


Please provide at least three (3) forms of identification, one of each from Categories 1, 2 and 3. If you are unable to provide identification from Categories 1 and 2, you must still provide at least three (3) forms of identification. At least two (2) of these must be from Category 3.

All documents, except foreign passports, must be current.

Photocopies must be certified as true copies of the original by a qualified witness, for example; a Justice of the Peace – The LMA is able to provide this service.

Category 1

If born in Australia:

  • An Australian Birth Certificate

Record of immigration status:

  • Citizenship Certificate
  • New Zealand Citizenship Certificate together with passport
  • New Zealand Birth Certificate

Category 2

  • Australian Driver’s Licence
  • Australian Passport
  • Firearms Licence
  • Foreign Passport

Category 3             

  • Medicare Card
  • Credit or Debit Card
  • Centrelink or Department of Veterans Affairs Card
  • Security Guard/Crowd Control Licence
  • Tertiary Education Institution ID Card

Category 4

  • Recent utility account with current residential address

To book your wedding ceremony, please click here


The LMA provides marriage dissolution services for Muslims according to the Islamic practice of marriage and divorce. The LMA does not perform official marriage dissolution services according to the Australian legal requirements. For official divorce proceedings please refer the LMA’s legal services and/or the Family Court of Australia.

If you need legal advice and would like to make an appointment
with our free legal clinic, click here